The sun came back! I was lying in the grass with my daughter and watching bugs bounce around!.......I new it would return!!!!!
I have a few things that I want to update you all on, a few about PQN, and a few about other goings on.....
- Here is a picture of the new patio being built at Mississippi (And also a picture of Rona (my daughter) and I on her 6 month birthday down at city hall checking out an awesome installation about the history of Boise neighborhood told by longtime residents through interviews with kids and pictures by Julie Keefe of the Hello Neighbor Project: http://www.portlandonline.com/mayor/index.cfm?&c=49518&a=296218 .......check it out!).......Okay, sorry, that wasn't intended to be part of this update, but it's very worthy!.......Okay, so the picture of the new patio at Mississippi......The structure is engineered like a building because it is going to have a live roof with at least 300 cubic feet of plants and wet soil on top, and solar hot water panels on the south side....It will be a very artful piece of architecture on the street when it is done and it will be super fresh for seating in both the summer and the winter, doubling our warm seating in the winter months, which will allow for comfortable seating and more jobs! Of course our favorite, Orange Design and Construction
http://orange-pdx.com/, is doing the work, and doing a fabulous job!
- Chef Josh Kimball will be teaching a Tamale making class on Tuesday, May 11th from 6-9pm....It's a great opportunity to learn how to make tamales the way we make them, and you get to take home your creations. I think that there are only 4 spots left, so go to this link and sign up if this gets you excited!.. https://mindglo.com/courses/details/325/3/cooking/tamales-workshop
- I am a huge sports fan, and was very dissappointed to see the Blazers lose in the playoffs. For those of you who don't know, we lost to the Phoenix Suns, and Phoenix happens to be in Arizona where they just passed a disgusting law that harshly violates the rights of those who happen to travel or live there....So, I was reading up on the playoffs the other day and came upon a story about the Phoenix Suns in their current playoff series, and that the players voted to wear "Los Suns" jerseys to show that they (the Phoenix Suns players and organization) are against this new Arizona law, and it left me incredibly impressed with a business as huge as a professional team making a statement against something that they don't believe in. Please go to this link to read about it: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2010/columns/story?columnist=adande_ja&page=Sarver-100504
- The Mississippi Avenue Street Fair is rapidly approaching, July 10!....We will have our 6th annual margarita bar and dance/music stage....I'm psyched to let you know that the favorite group from our stage last year, the "Tezeta Band" will be performing for a long set again starting at 2pm...Tim Cook plays in Tezeta, and he is married to Sarah from Black Wagon, one of my favorite businesses on Mississippi now that I have a kiddo! I'll let you know who else is playing our stage as the date approaches.
- We are doing an awesome event to kick off IPNC (International Pinot Noir Celebration). We are joining forces with Laurelhurst Market, Lovely's 50/50, Olympic Provisions, Apizza Scholls, Podnah's Pit, Biwa, Anne Amie Vineyards, Boedecker Cellars and others to pair street food with awesome Pinot!...The event is on Thursday, July 22 from 6-10pm and here is the link: http://www.anneamie.com/node/376
That's about it...oh, except you should check out our new website which was created by Angela from Sticksites (firstname.lastname@example.org)..Our website is: http://porquenotacos.com/
When you are there, become a fan of our facebook page if you do that sort of thing:
Thany you everyone for continuing to make Por Qué No feel so loved....we enjoy your company!...and GO SUNSHINE!....and HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!!!